Monday, July 30, 2012

A Lover's Joy

No comments:
 
This is a poem I wrote for my fiance to give to her the day I proposed.


---
I imagine myself
In the future afar
In an old wooden office
And my door ajar.
I am typing away
With a bad writer’s block
When out at the door
Comes a soft, saddened knock.
A sad, youthful chap
Mopes in kind of slow.
No spring in his step,
His head hanging low.
When asked, “What’s the matter?”
He let out a sigh,
And said to me slowly,
“I don’t understand why…”
“Trouble with the lady?”
I asked knowingly.
“How do you love mom
So romantically?”

I just sat there
As I thought for a while,
Until finally
I said with a smile,
“Son, there is a lot
That I don’t understand -
Like a flower in bloom;
Or how life began;
Or the way that whenever
I come up with a plan
It fails, and I’m struggling
To do what I can.
You see, there’s a lot
That I don’t understand,
But none quite compares
To this Quest of a man:
Loving a woman -
I’m learning a whole lot -
Not the greatest knight
In all Camelot,
Would be up for a Quest
So brave and so bold.
I’m learning some things
Even though I am old:

To love a woman,
You must let her go.
Love must mean action
Not merely a show.
Leading her is more
Than simply a title.
I must rule myself
Or I’ll make her an idol.
To love her like Jesus
Means giving up myself.
There’s no time for pride -
Feelings go on the shelf -
Like straining myself
To go the extra mile
To inspire some romance
If only for a smile;
Trying to cheer her
Even when I feel gloomy;
Or help with her homework,
Kind of like her roomie;
To make time for her,
Sacrificing my plans;
To love her and earn
The respect of a man.

I don’t understand
How simple this sounds
But for some reason
I’ve only figured out
The way to her heart
No science can tout,
But pure, patient love
Day in and day out.

Son, love is a verb.
It walks and has feet.
It’s not about you.
Your will you must beat.
Around every store,
And with ever fashion,
You’ll hear loud and clear:
“Love’s about passion!”
While it’s partly true,
It misses the point.
Commitment and effort
Give love its joints.
Your love will die
Without dedication.
Love is a lifestyle
Without a vacation.”

And if that weren’t enough,
I added just one
Concluding advice
For my disheartened son.

“I cherish Christine,
As I have all these years,
Because Christ loved me first
And calms all my fears.”

And though it was rather
A hard pill to swallow,
I saw him embrace
A brighter tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2012. Design by Main-Blogger - Blogger Template and Blogging Stuff